The cool weather and gray skies this week called for some comfort food in my house! I had 3 exams and a group project due this week so it was nice to have this easy to put together dish actually work for dinner for 2 nights (for the 3 of us). I have a little study break the next 3 days! Looking forward to it!
I’ve made this recipe multiple times but this is the first time I added sauteed garlic and mushrooms. They add a special flavor note to the dish that was just incredible. I especially like the flavor and texture of the shiitake mushrooms. They are a little more pricey than other types of mushrooms but since this is a meatless dish (and it lasted for 2 dinners) they are SO worth it!
Spinach and Mushroom Manicotti
- 1 – 10 ounce box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 package of shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, halved then sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 – 15 ounce container, organic part-skim ricotta
- pinch of nutmeg
- freshly ground pepper and kosher salt, to taste
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella, divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 – 25 ounce jar spagetti sauce
- 1 box manicotti pasta, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 13×9 glass baking dish with non-stick olive oil spray; set aside.
- Prepare mozzarella by cutting off about 1/3 of the log and dicing it up (this will get added to the filling). Slice the remaining mozzarella; reserve to be added to the top of the filled pasta.
- In a small saute pan melt the butter. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft.
- In a medium bowl combine spinach, mushroom mixture, ricotta, the diced mozzarella, nutmeg, salt & pepper.
- In the bottom of the baking dish add 1/3 cup water and about 1/3 of the jar of spaghetti sauce and stir around a bit to mix. Fill the uncooked pasta shells with the ricotta mixture and place in the baking dish. Top the pasta with the rest of the spaghetti sauce then the sliced mozzarella and the shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes or so. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.