It’s taco night in our house! There’s so many reasons to love tacos. Everyone can pick their own toppings, they take no time to make and they can be as healthy (or as bad) as you want! I have a few hard taco shells leftover from another dinner and some soft flour tortillas (for me) so we’ll have a mix of both tonight.
The toppings tonight are: avocado, tomatoes, red onion, jalapenos, lettuce, black beans, Herdez salsa (hot!) and of course cheese and sour cream!
I’ve been searching around for a while for just the right mix to make homemade taco seasoning because the packets that are available at the grocery store are so pricey, especially the organic ones and the “regular” brands have so many mystery ingredients. I think I have finally created our favorite mix! This blend is very bold and flavorful. It tastes like it cooked for hours instead of just minutes.
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons shallot salt (sold at Penzey’s)
- 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all spices together and store in a glass spice jar (I wash and reuse all of my old glass spice jars). Use a heaping tablespoon of spice plus 1/3 cup of water per pound of cooked ground beef to season for tacos.