A lot of people talk about how they make breakfast/brunch or special dinners on the weekends but I don’t really see LUNCH getting any attention.
I usually always have a smoothie for breakfast…and in the past couple of weeks sometimes overnight oats…and especially on Saturday mornings after working out and showering I want a really good lunch. Something fresh, no re-heated leftovers.
I’ve been making this shrimp salad for a few years now. I got the recipe from a friend and she prepared it as a topping on a toasted english muffin, then she would top that with some sliced havarti cheese then place it under the broiler for a minute or 2 to get it all melt-y. YUM! I had a large ripe avocado that needed to be eaten so I decided to substitute that for the cheese…glad I did!
With creamy avocado, plump shrimp bites and crunchy-fresh celery it’s a very satisfying and flavorful lunch. I had my previously mentioned favorite summer fruit — a nectarine — on the side.
Perfect thing to eat before heading to the pool. Only a few pool days left before it closes after all…
Smashed Avocado and Shrimp Salad Sandwiches
- 1 pound cleaned and deveined shrimp (fresh from deli if possible, or frozen/thawed)
- 2 tablespoons Vegenaise (or your fav mayo – I prefer the taste of Vegenaise)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon country style mustard (or dijon)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 teaspoons white wine (I used sauvignon blanc)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1/2 lime
- wheat bread or 12 grain bread
- In a large non-stick skillet add a small drizzle of EVOO and cook shrimp with a little salt and pepper for no more than 5 minutes for large shrimp. Let cool.
- In the meantime in a bowl stir together Veganaise, dill, mustard, shallot, celery, wine and S&P. Dice each piece of shrimp into 4-5 pieces and add to bowl.
- In a separate small bowl smash the avocado with the lime juice.
- To prepare sandwich smear avocado on toasted bread and top with about 1/4 of the shrimp salad. Serves about 4.